Located on the West Side of Manhattan within the Hudson River Park, historic Pier 57 was recently transformed into a new mixed-use destination.
Originally constructed in 1952, Pier 57 was the largest dock ever built by the City of New York. Redeveloped by RXR Realty, and designed by Handel Architects, the project took over a decade to complete and has quickly become a popular spot for music, dining and relaxing, with both indoor and outdoor seating areas. The rooftop features a large landscaped public park with panoramic views of Manhattan and New York Harbor along with a pavilion restaurant.
Classic Stone was contracted to provide 10 large granite pillars for the project. The pillars are scattered throughout the pedestrian paths on Pier 57 and neighboring pier, Little Island. The pillars are 4-feet high with a flamed top and the sawn sides for a split-face finish. The tolerance of the split was very important and each side was fabricated carefully and precisely according to the design drawings. The pillars were also engraved at the factory with the name of the pier on one side of the granite.
Pier 57 is on the National Register of Historic Places, in large part because of the innovative engineering techniques that keep it afloat. It officially opened to the public in late 2021.